Fair Fight Rules
2. We will not 'hit below the belt.' Attacking the other person's area of greatest personal sensitivity is counterproductive; it sets up an atmosphere of distrust.
3. We will not insult each other. This includes labelling, psychoanalysing, commanding, threatening, preaching, moralizing, or changing the subject.
4. We will not generalize. Generalizations are exaggerations of the facts, such as saying "you never..." or "you always..."
5. We will keep the discussion in the present. If a current situation resembles an old one, we will deal with the current situation without digging up the past.
6.We will not 'stock pile.' We will avoid storing little grievances and letting them build up into an inflammable pile of hurt feelings.
7. We will not 'make believe.' This includes pretending to have feelings or not expressing feelings in an attempt to keep the peace or protect the other person.
8. We will not overreact. An extreme response frightens people away; this includes threatening to move out, threatening to break up, and threatening to harm oneself.
9. We will not give each other the 'silent treatment.' This is a form of emotional violence that is very demeaning and disrespectful.