Monday, July 11, 2005

NY: I Don't Front with Police

7/11. 12:30AM Rome, NY

I don’t think it is really a big deal. I was not arrested or accused. But this interaction made me uneasy and I just wondered if…

A cop has a right to put his hands in your pockets and remove contents without even asking your consent….

A cop has the right to turn on your computer without even asking your consent….

Anyway, I park on a busy street in a business district. I grab my laptop and power cord and I’m looking at the storefronts for an outlet. Just wanted to charge the battery and type some shit up.

Maybe I am an *electricity thief* but that was never even the issue.

I found an outlet, but before I even plugged in, I see the cops drive past and turn around in the middle of the road. So I just wait for them to approach. Two cops jump out of the car and start asking me my name and where I live and what I am doing. They ask for ID and I have it on me. I hand my license to one and the other tells me to put my hands on the hood of the car.

I’m being really cooperative because I know I have done nothing and I don’t want to get caught up in a scene.

I tell them that I auto-camp and I’m there to see Fort Stanwix the next day. Told them I was just going to sit for an hour and do computer work.

The cop asks if it is my laptop. I say yes. Then he turns it on. Asks me what my screensaver looks like.

Then he reaches into all my pockets and takes out my phone and my wallet. Ask if it is my phone. Asks if I have ever been arrested.

Meanwhile, the other cop runs my license and the tag on the van. Clean, of course. I just stand there, feeling pretty undignified, waiting for them to tell me what’s going on.

Finally, they tell me that there are a lot of burglaries in the area and I should hang out somewhere else. I’m on my way. That’s it.

Oh yeah. Yesterday, I got pulled over by NY police. I had a headlight out. Ran my license. The cop told me that since I hadn’t been drinking, he wouldn’t give me a ticket. Just to get it fixed.

2 days and 2 cop stories. Blah.